Monday, February 26, 2007

Ben Update - Monday

Joan drew the first shift last night per Ben's choosing. That was unfortunate for Mommy but much good came from it. Those that are closest to us know that Ben generally gravitates to me when he's not feeling good or wants comfort in facing a new situation. We attribute that to me pushing Ben's limits and the sheer fact that I'm around him so often. It was indeed heartwarming to see Ben put those little arms up toward Joan last night as if he were saying, "I need my Mommy tonight."

Long story short, the little guy basically dry-heaved through the night. Although he had two significant seizures neither were as powerful as what we saw a few weeks back. By the time Lisa arrived this morning Ben was calmer and actually trying to function as normal. He's been able to digest Gatorade and a little ginger ale without the nausea; not a lot but enough to keep us from heading to the ER for IV fluids.

Another strange but positive change: the darn shunt is now working normally as far as we can tell. Even so we're headed to the pediatrician tomorrow morning for some blood work and to schedule an appointment to meet with the neurosurgeon who installed Ben's shunt just in case. At this time everything is indicating stomach virus. In fact I discovered this afternoon that there is a pretty wicked one that hit Jessie's school late last week.

Thanks for the good thoughts and encouragement. You just don't know how meaningful they are. Trust me, when and if the time comes they will be reciprocated.

6 comments:

Vance said...

I'm keeping you guys in my prayers Bennie. I hoping for the best for you guys. I know it's easy for me to say, but really...hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Vance, you're a true friend and Pi Kapp brother. I expect us to hit the lottery one day and we'll make you Ben's personal PT and sports body guard. We'll need you for that since we'll be visiting every NFL & MLB stadium we can find.

Silent Bob get to go along too.

moosh in indy. said...

I heart Ben. Sorry you don't feel good, if anyone doesn't deserve the heaves it's you.

kimmyk said...

I'm glad it's just the flu. If that makes sense. I hope the vomiting stops. We've been dealing with it for two weeks here.

I hope things go well tomorrow at the Peds office and the neurosurgeons.

Sleep well.

Kyla said...

Whew. Glad there is a nasty stomach bug going around. (how often do people say that? *lol*)

Hugs to you guys, I hope the appointments go well today. Tell Ben to drink! KayTar wants him too. She says its no fun to get an IV.

Kelly said...

I hope you can keep him hydrated! Good thing to still want to check out the shunt. While I have no experience with shunts, I hear they can be problematic very quickly after a growth spurt.