Wednesday, December 27, 2006


Hello. My name is Bennie and I'm an....

Okie-dokie. Before I finish that phrase I gotta fill you in on the comings and goings of the Waddells since Saturday. Yours truly has been a cooking fool filling up the family bellies with "the roast beast" (twice) and several tasty side dishes including my special dressing. Yep, you read that right. Dressing. As in the bread-like substance you stuff into the cavity of the roast fowl some folks choose to serve this time of year.

The Wahs are red meat eaters. In fact we're just this side of Neanderthal - just ask my wife. We've been known to actually feel a bit resentful during those Geico commercials featuring the Cavemen. And we just happen to like dressing - cornbread dressing to be specific. And no, you gross people who wonder if we stuff that smaller cavity of a cow. BTW, the recipe is secret but I will tell you that the key ingredient is the addition of water chestnuts. If you're nice enough I might just let the recipe slip. Or you could buy me a beer. That always works.

Now I also need to say that we did have a wonderful weekend. I will be getting to some pics and videos (hopefully) of the kids in full force. Ben was, to say the least, the Sun of our Christmas galaxy this year. The boy started slowly but ended up wilder than Paris Hilton naked in front of a camcorder. Let's just say that he has this thing about things wrapped in shiny paper with a bow down pat.

So back to my title. This time of year is often a time of reflection and taking inventory of one's life. Many folks including me have occasionally used the New Year as a way of recognizing flaws or "weaknesses" that we really should and can change about ourselves. Some want or need to lose weight or just want to become more physically fit. Other folks might want to become more cultured. They might cut the TV off at night and read some more books or take a class at the local university to improve their education.

And then there are deeper, more serious realizations. As I mentioned I tried to log on to the Internet Christmas Eve to wish all our blog readers good tidings and great joy. However, after about 20 attempts and 5 new curse words, I discovered surfing the Blogosphere that evening was not to be. Our modem chose that sacred evening to play the role of Scrooge.

I cannot tell you how difficult the past few days have been. There have been those moments where I have just sat and stared at the computer screen....for hours on end. I've clicked on Outlook Express several times a day hoping one frigging e-mail would make it past those filter thingies to provide me one"hit" (byte?) of euphoria. It was so bad that I could care less if it was Spam or a get rich scheme from E-Bay.

Yes folks. My name is Bennie and I'm a Blogaholic. Sorry. I'll give up sex and booze but not my keyboard!
_____________________________________________________________________

How to complete this post? I'm at a loss as to how I express my emotions that go out to a dear friend of mine.

In reality I'm a newbie to this blogging thing. Although I write some things that are an attempt to be humorous and good-natured, for the most part I want the readers of this blog to be introduced to the realities and hurdles that family's of exceptional loved ones face each day.

Through my opening up and sharing our story I've come to know and love some special people the past few months. Because we share similar journeys we have become siblings, cheerleaders, and tragically mourners for each other. I must confess that I often wake up at night from a horrible nightmare. It is almost always the same: Ben has passed to The Other Side and I can no longer touch him, feel him, or even hear him. I have found that this is not an uncommon dream for parents like me and Joan.

Sadly one such young family I've come to know has experienced this pain. I've become good friends with T, as we like to call her. We've been e-mailing each other several times a week since we've discovered each other's blogs. She and her family have been welcomed into our home with open arms. Joan and Jessie ask at least once a day if I have heard from her. In fact I shared with T late last week how I knew that she and Joan would be great friends had we lived closer together.

I will say that knowing T's journey that I've almost felt embarrassed to share the incredible month we have had. If we share the great moments of living with Ben then we must also share what could be an outcome we face. With that said, I want to say that me and my family are thankful for knowing about this brave woman. Although we celebrate we can also grieve.

1 comment:

Redneck Mommy said...

Yer such a doofus. I celebrate your good fortune. Because it helps to remind me of our good fortune. Sometimes it's hard to remember anything but that lonely walk out of the hospital, with nothing in my arms but a plastic bag.

Reading your story helps to remind me of mine.

Silly boy. Now I must go find kleenex. I seem to have something in my eye.