Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Required Reading

Over there on the right is my friend Becky. If you've ever taken the time to read our comments section ("critiques") then you'd know her as We_Be_Toys. Becky is the writer of one of my most favorite blogs called Tap Dancing Beyond the Edge of Reason. I mean how in the world could you not start reading a blog by that title? And the girl can write!

Becky is what I call a Southern Anti-Belle: an attractive low maintenance Southern gal. She'd just as soon enjoy a nice summer afternoon conversation on the back porch sipping iced tea as much as she would chasing her boys around the yard catching lightening bugs later that evening.

Too bad we crossed paths this late in the game called Life 'cause I'd a thrown my Southern genteel act on her real fast like; but then inbreeding would've started. You see I think Becky would've also made a great sister. As Forrest Gump would say, "we're like peas and carrots."

I really could go on some more about my friend but I'd rather you read her blog. Her latest entry is a Southern literary treasure. Even though it's a sad true story, I told her she seriously could have the beginnings of the next dark southern novel in the likes of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, The Prince of Tides, or Bastard Out of Carolina. I tell ya' the woman could make magnolias weep in envy.

2 comments:

we_be_toys said...

Oh Pshaw! I'm blushing over here, from all the effusive praise! I never know what to say when I'm complimented - my instinct is to talk you out of it, but I'm going to just settle for Thank You, like a million times over!

And you're right - that post only scratches the surface of a whole lot of memories. I've decided to start writing more about it, offline, and see where it goes. It just might be the novel I've been wanting to write.

Ah jeez Bennie - thanks again!
Love yer favorite carrot-top,
Becky

Chanda (aka Bea) said...

I've known the tapdancer for over 20 years - we met in a poetry writing class and have been best friends ever since. Even then, her writing was heads and shoulders above the rest, and her personality really shines trough.
She has even inspired me to start a blog along with her. It's fabulous to have a built in editor 5 doors down.

*Though I'd have to say she'd more than likely be sippin' a beer or other adult beverage than an iced tea.*

I'ts nice to see her profiled here, I know she was tickled to death.