Monday, August 25, 2008

Recommended



This is one of the tightest "band" performances I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of them. The video features two of my favorite music acts together on the same stage. You might remember Gillian Welch's voice from some of the music on the O Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack. She and her songwriting partner, David Rawlings, are joined by the Old Crow Medicine Show playing "The Weight" by The Band. To me this would be the kind of group I'd put together if I were still playing out in the pubs, bars, & honky tonks.

I hope you enjoy it so much you'll run out and buy a few of their CDs.

PS - OCMC and Gillian Welch are from New York...City. Not the South.
PSS - Now how cool is that? I reread my "PS" and it came across as "regionalist." I just think it's cool that folks in New York dig Appalachian roots music...like Bob Dylan did...and Levon Helms...and Gillian Welch...and me.

2 comments:

we_be_toys said...

Oh honey, I am living testament that rednecks can be from New York!

I love Gillian Welch in any shape or size.

Ben and Bennie said...

The three Goddesses of folk/bluegrass/whatever you want to call it: Emmylou, Alison Krauss, and Gillian.

BTW, The Band came out of the Northeast. Even though they eventually head to Nashville not all folksy folk end up eating too many peanut butter and 'nanner sandwiches.