Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Teach Your Children

I got an interesting e-mail from Gretchen, Simon's mom, earlier today. She was contemplating the post I made the other day in regards to whether or not to use a bidding format to sell our artwork. Here are her thoughts:

I wish I knew how to answer this. My kids think I want attention every time I tell Simon's story, but it's not that, I want PKS to be known and I want people to love him for him, a person, not just see his disabilities. I want Ben's paintings because they're gorgeous and inspiring to me as a mom and I know you're not doing it to show Ben as a "show". Do what feels comfortable.

I'm still not all that comfortable about bidding for the paintings just yet but I was struck by the remark about putting the spotlight on Simon. I can say without a doubt that every parent with an exceptional child that blogs here would agree 100 percent with me: your son deserves to have his story told! You are definitely doing the right thing by telling the world about his courageous journey.

Just in the short time this site has existed we've seen many eyes opened to the world Simon, Ben, Kaytar, Jennelle and all the other children of parents that lurk here live in. Even the memory of Shale Bug who now serves as a Guardian Angel for his family and our kids continues to affect so many lives for the better through the words of his Redneck Mommy.

So never ever feel guilty for sharing with the rest of us the love and pride you feel toward your precious little boy. One of the neatest things that I have learned through blogging is the discovery that my daughter Jessie is not the exception but the rule when it comes to older siblings of special kids. Be proud of them too because they shower as much love if not more upon their younger brothers and sisters.

You who are on the road
Must have a code that you can live by
And so become yourself
Because the past is just a good bye.

Teach your children well,
Their father's hell did slowly go by,
And feed them on your dreams
The one they picked, the one you'll know by.

Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you would cry,
So just look at them and sigh and know they love you.

And you, of tender years,
Can't know the fears that your elders grew by,
And so please help them with your youth,
They seek the truth before they can die.

Can you hear and do you care and
Cant you see we must be free to
Teach your children what you believe in.
Make a world that we can live in.

Teach your parents well,
Their children's hell will slowly go by,
And feed them on your dreams
The one they picked, the one you'll know by.

Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you would cry,
So just look at them and sigh and know they love you.
"Teach Your Children Well" Graham Nash

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Bennie, you said it well. I do want Simon's story told and if it comes off as "showy" so be it! He and I and God know the real reason. These babies are ours for a reason...let's share the blessings!

And, I'm thankful I've met so many wonderful people, such as you, only because of Simon. I'm blessed.

Life is good!

Kyla said...

Well said, Bennie!

kimmyk said...

To be a parent is to show off our children. We love them. We want the rest of the world to see what we see...just not all the time. We need to keep some of that sparkle for just our eyes.

Jeni said...

i've always loved the second verse of that song...

p.s. i've got a new url.

Anonymous said...

Do I need to change anything on the sidebar?

Kelly said...

Hey Bennie!

You know... sometimes I worry that people might think I've dramatized Jenelle's life for my own personal benefit. And I know that is simply not true. I know because every now and then, I get an e-mail from someone, somewhere in the world telling me how thankful they are that I share Jenelle and her story with the world. They are so relieved to see that there are others like them, and that there are other children like their child. I really feel that sharing Jenelle with the world is fulfilling God's purpose for Jenelle.

Also, I realize the drama can bring in the "big bucks". As you know, we support our local Epilepsy group as we have an upcoming fundraiser for them in May. We put Jenelle's story out there to get sympathy and to raise the money needed by this worthy cause. Sometimes people are more generous when they can relate personally to a charity.

I think subconsciously, you know what you are doing. Notice you tagged this post with "advocacy", and really, that is all we are doing; adovcating for our children.

Anonymous said...

BINGO Kelly! I get the same response about Simon's website, and I'm thrilled that in doing the site, I've helped people. God does have a plan!! And, if it will help people learn about PKS and raise money for awareness, etc, I think it's worth being a little bold.
Gretchen