Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Now I'm REALLY Getting Pissed Off!

It seems our blog is now being bombarded by the "disability rights" propagandistas. Evidently if you disagree with their stance in regards to The Ashley Treatment they want to reeducate you. Perhaps I should've said "disability rights" Nazis?

If you read through the comments you'll discover several bloggers make reference or at least point in the direction of David. I've been to his blog which is some supposed "gateway" to several disability rights blogs and websites. That's great. In fact it's terrific. I'm glad there are folks out there that advocate change in the system.

But I have a problem with David's philosophy and in particular he and his gang's continued characterization of Ashley's parents as barbarian. Here's some thoughts expressed there and my response:

"Benevolence" and "good intentions" have often had disastrous consequences for the disability community AND we deeply empathize with parents who face difficult issues raising children with significant physical and intellectual disabilities. However, we hold as non-negotiable the principle that personal and physical autonomy of all people with disabilities be regarded as sacrosanct. (David's emphasis) For decades, parents, families, and the disability community have been fighting for this principle, and for community-based services for children and adults that make it a reality. Their advocacy led to enactment of state and federal laws in the 1970s that establish extensive rights to full personhood for children and adults with disabilities. These laws were passed to remedy our shameful history of abuse and mistreatment of people just like Ashley.

And here is this little gem:

Ashley’s parents have committed the ultimate betrayal. They have treated their daughter as less than human, not worthy of dignity (Bennie's emphasis). But the truth is, they have lost their dignity.

This was my initial comment before I really began to really see what David's blog is about:

I have been brought here by a lady named Connie. I have an entirely different perspective and opinion than yours. First off, I hope and pray my son will have the cognitive abilities and skills you obviously have. I do know of stories that give us parents of EXCEPTIONAL children hope just like yours. They are unfortunately very uncommon.

I am not advocating the treatment Ashley's parents chose as an across-the-board measure to be taken by every child who exhibits the symptoms of Ashley. Those parents made a decision when she was six years old. I will also say that I have not read enough of your blog to know when and if you showed signs of intelligence at such an early age to determine how to treat your CP. I will guess that you showed an incredible determination and will at a young age to give your parents and caretakers hope in regards to your future. I will make a guestimation and say that my son fits somewhere in between. I have been his cheerleader and "pusher" (for lack of a better word) since he was born. I could sense his determination and effort long before many others (including his Mom). Early on we were told "there is nothing" to work with.

With that said I cannot agree with your assumption about Ashley's parents. How have they failed? How have they not been great care-givers of a beautiful child? By what they have done with a collective of ethical people who made an oath of doing what is best for the advancement of medicine be so wrong that they now are no longer deserving of being parents? I'm going to type this the best I can but those parents have made the best choice that they can given the knowledge they know.

You are a male so you have no idea what menstrual periods do to a young woman. You also failed to mention that puberty begins for girls with seizure activity and known (or unknown) genetic disorders. Ashley was already showing signs of puberty at the age of six. That situation is much different than yours or my son. My son has just gotten his first real wheelchair and there are chest constraints that could make him uncomfortable without breasts.

Everyone wants to paint this situation as a matter of convenience. Folks have said, including you, that Ashley's rights have been violated? How? We parents do the best we can in situations like your own. Well I'm willing to bet you were much different from the children you were initially placed with. I don't know your parents. I'd surely like to meet them one day. But you are crucifying two loving people who are doing the best they possibly can for their child.

Oh by the way, she does not have CP. (It is) static encephalopathy (a condition) much worse. You can look it up for yourselves.

Later I added (and I was correct):

I'm guessing this is an ambush. I did think more of Dream Mom's opinion (which is) if you don't agree (with us) then you're wrong.

And then after reading David's "sacrosanct" dissertation I left these two comments:

So by sacrosanct you mean me and my wife desecrated my son's body by removing 2 of his 12 finger digits, repairing his cleft palette, and inserting a trache into his neck?

It is quite evident that many of you have visited my blog to sway my opinion toward that of your writers here. Fine. I appreciate what you site is about and the efforts that you make toward disability rights. HOWEVER, I STRONGLY DISAGREE WITH YOUR CHARACTERIZATION IN THIS REGARD: "Ashley’s parents have committed the ultimate betrayal. They have treated their daughter as less than human, not worthy of dignity. But the truth is, they have lost their dignity." Anyone of you who thinks this is true is not worthy of the defense of my son's rights. It is sanctimonious bullshit.

Basically I'm through dealing with these jerks. These people see themselves as the final ethical word about choices exceptional parents have. They operate just like government lobbyists some of whom I'm positive link to David's site. I feel about them lobbying on behalf of my son the same way I know some African Americans feel about Jessie Jackson lobbying on behalf of their equal rights.

I've said enough already on the subject. In regards to making the public aware of disability issues it is unfortunate that this issue has not united us but divided us. That is the worst part of this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been lurking for a while. I have a middle school aged daughter with severe disabilities. Count me in as a supporter of Ashley's family. And If I were David's mother I would be ashamed of his poor choice of words. I may not have made the same choice as that family but having to put up with all that we have to raise our beautiful girl and then have someone who is themselves disabled say those things about us? Who really is the one lacking dignity here?

Anonymous said...

I read Ashley's story just tonight and have been Googling to find out what people are saying.

Thank you for your post, and your words of encouragement. I am young, I am single, and I have no children. But how I admire those of you with exceptional children--I always have, and that will never cease.

I can't imagine having to make a decision such as the one that Ashley's parents have, and how dare anyone sit in judgement of people in whose shoes they will never stand. How blessed they truly are for not having to make these kinds of decisions, and how sad it is that they don't recognize this blessing.

After I read your post, I felt compelled to write and say thank you. I can only hope that if I were born into Ashley's position, that my parents would love me as much as hers to have my best interests in mind.

God bless you Ben, and tell Bennie I said hi--and what a cutie he is!

Anonymous said...

Of course, I mixed up the Ben and Bennie!

Sorry about that!

Redneck Mommy said...

I love ya.

I don't know that I would make the same choice if I were in Ashley's parents shoes.

I do know though, that the decision would not have been easy, it would have been well thought out and I would have made it with the very best of intentions.

To know there are people out there - disabled people - criticizing a parent's love for such a special child breaks my heart.

That said, if this treatment became standard for treating all disabled children, I'd fight tooth and nail. But seeing as how it is just one more option we caregivers have to mull over, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

If Ashley's medical team were not convinced this was in her best interest, they would not have done it. And they would have alerted the authorities to have her removed from her parent's custody.

I believe we need to focus more on the rights and equal treatment of disabled people (and certainly it would be a right to have all medical choices available to them, no matter how distasteful they may seem...)

Public education and public funding needs to grow. It is unfortunate, but true: there is no such thing as bad publicity.

I pray for little Ashley that she has a good life. I do not pray that she has parents to love and support her. Because obviously she does.

Unlike so many other special children abandoned by parents....