Friday, January 05, 2007


More on The Ashley Treatment

I've found more discourse about this topic than I really expected. I've also discovered another wonderful blog taking a deeper look into the issue. I welcome those that venture here from Doctor Anonymous!


If there is something good other than the fact that Ashley is showing success from her treatment that began 3 years ago it's that this story is finally drawing attention to those of us caring for very special children. It is making the general public think more deeply about the existence families like us live in.


We don't want you to feel sorry for us. I would guess that 99% of those family units that survive the first few years of caring for an exceptional child would tell you we love the challenge! We love our children! We accept our situation and make the best of it everyday.


The problem that arises most often is the need we have for government funds. Do you think we enjoy receiving government money to care for our child? We hate it. But it is a fact of life for us. Will your church pay for that $3,000 wheelchair Ben just received? Will your charity pay for the 40 hours of nursing that Ben gets a week so that both me and Joan can work? Let me ask you, Evangelical Christians - the most critical of big government and bigtime right-to-lifers - where is the money going to come from to help us since you folks won't step forward with a good idea to alleviate the costs to our system of government? In fact let me be so bold and ask what would Jesus do?


No easy answers are there. To all those in your ivory towers sleep good tonight. As for me and my wife, we'll be listening to Ben's breathing through his monitor tonight. We'll probably change two more diapers before we go to bed (Ben is 7). We'll also say a prayer for forgiveness for those of you who in the name of Christ wished horrible things upon Ashley's parents.

2 comments:

Dr. A said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for your comments.

I can't even imagine what you're going through. What I get from the press is so bias that I can't believe it.

I'm glad that there are blogs like yours to help give me a little insight into your experience.

I've learned a lot with just my quick reading here. I'll be back to read more. I'm also going to add you to my link list, if that's ok.

Redneck Mommy said...

Way to Go!! I knew I loved you Bennie, but now I understand why!!!

Can we get a big AMEN and Hallelujah for this post.

kisses and hugs to you and yours...