Sunday, January 07, 2007


The Ashley Treatment - Another View

In the interest of good dialogue and debate I want our blogging community to read another opinion about this topic. I've spent a good deal of time the past few days chasing down visitors here that have been looking for opinions about The Ashley Treatment. Interestingly most families with a severely disabled loved one in their household generally support Ashley's parents and their decision. On the other hand most everyone else has eagerly played into the media's portrayal of the parents as "butchers" who did this out of convenience.

Well I found someone who disagrees with me in regards to the treatment. Why am I linking to her post? Because she is the first person I feel is entirely qualified to give an educated opinion on the subject. You see she is the mother of an almost full-grown teenage son with severe disabilities (Partington's Syndrome). She and her son are a part of Ben's extended family. I would very much like for you to read what Dream Mom has to say about the subject. Have a Kleenex ready while reading her opening paragraphs.

I also implore you to read the comments to her post. You'll find mine there as well. While several of us (parents of exceptional children) disagree with Dream Mom's opinion in regards to the treatment we all agree that this is a very important opportunity for us to educate the public about our hardships and the lack of concern from our lawmakers.

As I wrote to her I will be visiting Dear Mom quite often. By the way the picture is of her Dear Son. He's quite a handsome young man!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben,

It's a pleasure to meet you. I thought I'd write you to say that if you liked what Dear Mom had to say, you'll probably appreciate Penny L. Richards post as well. She too is a Mom with a son with a severe disability. Her blog can be found at Disability Studies, Temple U.
http://disstud.blogspot.com/2007/01/sigh.html

Tell her Connie sent you...

I'll be back to check out your (and Bennie's) artwork. And your blog.

Till then!

Redneck Mommy said...

off to go do my reading...thanks for the link.

And her son is quite handsome. But not as cute as our kids...heehee

Ben and Bennie said...

Hey Connie!

I'm going to check out the site right now. Next time leave your blog address as well so we can check it out.

Ben and Bennie said...

Well Connie, I'm gonna tell you straight. I appreciated Dream Mom's opinion but I still TOTALLY disagree with her. What I don't appreciate is the amount of attention this blog is getting from your link above.

I've made an attempt to let everyone have a say on the subject WITHOUT THE CONTINUED DISPARAGEMENT OF ASHLEY'S FAMILY. The link above is no better than CNN's coverage and I find it ironic that CNN has solely selected your source as it's opinion on the matter. In my eyes that is selective journalism and does not present the truth.