Sunday, January 14, 2007

A Huge Welcome to Our New Readers!

Thanks very much for stopping by. We also want to let you know that there is so much more about Ben and Bennie than our support for Ashley's and other families with exceptional children. You all (or as we Southerners like to say, y'all) already know some obvious things about me and Ben from the Paula Zahn interview the other night. What you probably don't know about is our special talent for painting!

I am a full-time (or at least trying to be) artist specializing in contemporary impressionist and sometimes whimsical acrylic paintings. You can view my paintings by clicking on several links over at the sidebar on the left. Those include Art for Purchase under the Categories section and then my gallery website, my e-Bay store, and my gallery at ArtByUs.com under Ben & Bennie's Links.

What we are most proud of is the gallery of work by Ben & Bennie. If you'll go back a few pages you will see pictures and even a video of Ben painting! From some of the earliest days of his life we could tell Ben was fascinated with my talent and thoroughly enjoyed the creative process. In fact one of the most wonderful things about kids like Ben is their ability to creatively figure out how to communicate with us, how to manipulate their toys, or how to tell us the activity they want to participate in. Nurse Lisa found that one out on Friday when Ben directed her to get his art supplies out because it was time to paint!

Once Ben completes his part of the painting I begin the second half of the process. I try to imagine what Ben is seeing on the canvas. I enhance certain lines or shapes and then the image begins to appear. If I'm not quite sure I'll sometimes give the canvas back to Ben (many times he gives it right back to me because he's done). Just like my personal work it sometimes happens very fast and then other paintings take weeks to complete. The best part of this is that me and Ben are communicating on a level that transcends language. Ben is also receiving a great deal of occupational and cognitive therapies (my wife would like me to add that so is Dad).

All of this artwork is for sale. One obvious reason is this is a primary source of income for our family. The winter months are particularly hard on us because the type of art festivals I normally work are located too far away from us for me to attend. The shows I can practically work don't begin until the warmer months of March and April.

Secondly it is a way for you as a purchaser to have artwork that embodies all of who we are as an exceptional family. The hard work, the special skills, the difficult communications, and ultimately achieving our goal through love and support of one another. Each of these painting are fairly small, usually 8" x 10", so finding a place for it to be displayed is easy.

And lastly, any artwork that we sell that somehow has a connection with this blog, a portion (no less than 10%) will be donated to a charity or organization that supports Ben. Currently we are giving to Ben's class fund or his school's PTA which is raising money for much needed playground equipment. Do you know how much a swing for a special needs child costs? We haven't even come close to buying one special seat much less the entire structure!

So as you peruse these pages and get a glimpse of our lives consider having a part of us in your own home or office. In fact I recently got an e-mail from a friend who bought the print entitled "Ben's Web." He chose to place it in his office. As he told me, "when I'm having a crappy day all I need to do is look over...see that print and think about all those crappy days Ben's had, my day gets a little better."

As always purchasing details are mentioned as each painting or print is listed. You can also e-mail me at benwaddell@bellsouth.net for questions or interest in a commissioned piece. Since I have 8 new canvases that Ben has finished with I'd better get to work! Enjoy your visit here!

The above painting is still available for purchase. It is entitled "Ben's Second Dragonfly." You can find the details under Art by Ben and Bennie in the sidebar.

4 comments:

voyageur said...

What a great site and a great idea! I so strongly support things like this. I did not hear about this in the news, but found you through the random "next blog" feature.

Ben and Bennie said...

Thanks for visiting and commenting! Come back often!

Anonymous said...

I think that Friday's work is going to be AMAZING when we get it complete...Ben was so very very into it that day!!! Hope to work somemore tomorrow since there isn't any school.

Anonymous said...

Still coming by and admiring the artwork:)

Ben you are doing a great job!

and Bennie, that is too cool that you were on with Paula Zahn.. I missed it, but bet it was great.