Sunday, December 17, 2006

The Week in the Rear View

It's difficult to know where to begin and what to tell. The "holiday spirit" really took hold tonight and has made me sentimental over Christmas Past. The occasion also made me look forward to Christmas Future. Let's just start and say my side of the family held it's annual Christmas gathering earlier this evening.

I have to admit that it was not something me and Joan were looking forward to. Don't get me wrong! I love my Mom's family and her two crazy sisters. The ones that tag along aren't too bad either. They include my uncles who like to shoot guns, my cousin Billy who was my elder brother while growing up, and various second cousins who are very accepting of Ben.

Our reluctance meant we had to venture out of our little Sunday afternoon safe haven, get somewhat cleaned up, get Ben dressed and packed (a chore that isn't that easy), leave the cozy confines of Wah Land not knowing what time of night we would return.

Let me insert here that any celebration on my side of the family has not been that wonderful since Joan and I married. My Dad had unexpectedly died about three months prior to our marriage. In fact it was my Dad's death that turned a terrific friendship into fiery romance and our eventual marriage. My father was one of the ring-leaders at family gatherings which occurred much more often in my youth.

I can only introduce my grandfather as the second biggest influence upon my life next to my Dad. Papa was THE master of ceremonies. He was one of those individuals who gained your attention just by his mere presence. Had everyone alive met him in his/her day we'd have achieved world peace by now. You also would've laughed you ass off.

Anyway, tonight we found Christmas Past and made it Christmas Present. Ben is now the ring-leader. There is no doubt that our loved ones attending my Mom's gathering were completely entertained by Ben and his antics. Honestly they will love him no matter what because they are his family. But to fully appreciate my son's personality you have to spend a good deal of time with him. That happened tonight as we watched Ben in full shining glory directing the festivities to his liking!

I have this weird feeling that Papa and Big Papa Carroll are up in heaven having a party of their own and sending some fun vibes to us via Ben.

No comments: