Tuesday, November 21, 2006


Well Gosh Darn

Ben's already let loose with the secret. I'm almost positive I got a job with a big-time arts & crafts retailer. I'd love to tell you the name of the employer and the whatnots but I really don't want to get fired before I start. The awesome news that Ben reported is that the hours allow me to take care of Ben's needs during the day and continue my goal of becoming a full-time artist.

This decision does not come without remorse. My Dad is probably rolling over in his grave. Well, I love you Dad but (go ahead and fill in your own curse words toward your own parents) _______________. If I had done what I really wanted after I graduated from college then I'd be an old hand at my current profession.

I honestly appreciate what Dad did for me. He made sure I graduated from college and a good one indeed. I just never figured into his "I'm making a son to inherit my business savvy and therefore all of this belongs to him" BS. I hated that I did not inherit his business savvy. When he died unexpectedly I thought the best thing for our family was to try and figure out that savvy. I did a damn good job except I never expected a trusted friend to help us set up our business and then screw my family over for his own gain. That is history. I'm hoping to do what most us do. Love their job. Take pride in it. I'm blue-collared.

Perhaps my Dad forgot what that was like to be blue-collared? I don't think so. I think he was wanting all of his sons, particularly his namesake to have a better life than him. I'm sure he is darn proud of my brothers too. If I were The Man now I'd figure out a way to support my brothers in the most inventive way.

Cameron & Blair, I love you guys. We'll miss your families Thursday and we hope y'all have a blessed day.

And I hope I don't disappoint my Dad. I gotta take care of my family.

1 comment:

Jeni said...

Fathers are very hard to please. But I'm sure, as with mine, you'd actually had taught him something about the value of life (and family) if he was able to see you today.