Thursday, October 12, 2006



From Bennie:

What a wonderful week this has been. For the first time since Ben has started school he attended three days which was our goal for this year. When we tried to get him up this morning we weren't certain he'd make it there. He fussed quite a bit during his morning bath and after Vickie dressed him he fell back into what appeared to be a deep sleep. I asked him if he wanted to go to school and he barely opened his eyes for me. I took it as a "yes." It turns out to be a good call.

Needless to say he was exhausted this afternoon. He napped a good while this afternoon - at least two hours. It was a good rest and free of a nap-ending siezure; something that has happened twice this week. We are very fortunate that Ben's seizures are very short in duration, usually lasting between 10 and 30 seconds. Of course that could change.

As we continue to add to this blog you will hear more about Ben's classmates and teachers. Due to privacy issues I cannot reveal anything about the children other than their first names unless I get permission from their parents. With that said I would ask that you keep these names (along with Ben's) in your thoughts or prayers as often as possible: Grayson, Najee, Courtney, Evan, Justin, and Malik.

I also would like for you to do the same for their teachers. These ladies are very special folk. I hope to share some of their stories, thoughts, and adventures in the coming months but I can tell you they do a job that is sometimes far more important than the one we parents do. They are Kristy, Doris, and Sallie.

I will be leaving tomorrow for another art show in North Carolina so Ben will have to wait until Sunday or Monday to tell you about his weekend. We're also hoping to have some information to report in regards to his recent Shriner's Hospital visit.

I hate to be melodramatic but on occasion we will post something inspirational or that has meaning to our family. Last year, just a few hours before I left for my first out-of-town art show, my mother gave me a CD with the following song on it. As I drove up I-85 toward Charlotte I popped it into my player. It wasn't long before the tears were streaming down my face as I thought about the challenge and new career path that lay before me. Until Ben was so very sick over Christmas last year I never even thought of the song becoming the Waddell's theme. If you have not had the pleasure of hearing this song I would encourage you to find and listen closely.


I Hope You Dance
(written by Mark D. Sanders/Tia Sillers)

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed


I hope you still feel small when you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give fate a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance


I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances but they're worth taking

Lovin' might be a mistake but it's worth making
Don't let some hell bent heart leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out, reconsider
Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance

Time is a wheel in constant motion always
Rolling us along
Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder
Where those years have gone


I hope you still feel small when you stand by the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
Dance!
I hope you dance.

The photo is from our Spring Break beach trip back in April. Jessie & Ben prepare for a bike ride.

1 comment:

an artist on the edge said...

Hi Bennie,

thanks for pointing me to your beautiful blog about your truly incredible family - it was great meeting you in Greer and now that i've read more about Jessie, Ben, and Joan, i can see where the happy colors in your artwork come from - and the smile on your face. You are blessed - your family is beautiful... too bad i didn't have more time to chat with them and with you, i would have loved to get to know all of you a bit better.

Hope our art-paths will cross again sometime soon - we're off to the art in the park in myrtle beach this weekend. Good luck in NC - hope you sell every brushstroke!
drop me a line sometime, i'd love to hear how things are going for you.
Give those kids a kiss on the nose from me, and a baaaa in the ears from the sheep :o))

take care!

Conni
http://www.charisma-art.com
http://www.artbyus.com