Friday, March 23, 2007

On the Palette

Cadmium Orange: I finally got my butt in gear to make some headway into completing the paintings I want to take with me next weekend. It's very difficult to hole up in the studio when it's cloudless and nearly 80 degrees outside. In fact we are now running the air conditioner on a daily basis. Temperatures on Sunday may reach close to 90.

The long range forecast for Summerville next weekend looks excellent. High 70s and sunny skies! Excellent weather to shop for art.

Brilliant Purple: Ben had a terrific semi-annual checkup yesterday at his pulmanologist. We have started weaning him off of the Orapred (pulmonary steroid) and reducing all of his medications related to his breathing. This is indeed a huge milestone! During the very few occasions we've actually succeeded in getting Ben off of the steroids we've seen an incredible increase in cognitive skills. We may not experience the kind of stuff going on with Kaytar or Jennelle just yet but who knows?

Raw Sienna: Okay, confession time. I haven't made a big deal about this yet but a recent development has me a tad worried. Let me first say that getting old sucks. I've been watched very closely my my ophthalmologist the past year or so. That test they give you when they dilate your eyes at a checkup so that you end up with a massive headache and the rest of the day is ruined? It's to check something called "pressures." If you have high pressures then it could signal the beginning of glaucoma.

Well my pressures have been up there with the springtime temperatures. I started using drops back around Christmas and they've worked like a charm. The latest problem? In the last couple of weeks I've gained a few "floaters" in my right eye. These little boogers appear as little dark spots throughout your vision field. This situation according to the the eye doc might mean I'm gaining a detached retina to boot!

Swell! I finally achieve my lifelong dream to be a visual artist and now I go blind. And before you comedians begin pondering what I was doing locked in my bedroom as a teenager I was learning to play guitar, a completely different kind of "wood" than your dirty minds were thinking.

Now (for KimmyK) playing loudly through the headphones: Queensryche

5 comments:

Kyla said...

Ooooh!! So exciting about weaning Ben of the meds!! I can't wait to hear how it goes!

I hope the eye doc can give you some solutions!!

Kelly said...

Congratulations on the wean! I hope it continues to go well!

Thanks for the mention. I love my new "Friday Night" entertainment.

kimmyk said...

Ok so see this is what I know about. I work for an Ophthalmologist and 1 or 2 floaters? No big deal. If they're accompanied with flashes of lights-that my friend is a big red flag. Your pressures are up? Well, make sure you use your drops before you go to bed. Or if they've gotcha on 'em twice a day-use 'em. Losing ones sight when it can be prevented is sad. I see it EVERY SINGLE DAY people stop using their drops. And unfortunately, they end up losing their vision. Anyways, if you have any questions you can email me. I'll be happy to help. Ok moving along...

I'm glad to hear Ben got a good check up at the docs yesterday. Steroids are so harsh on little ones. But they work so well. Double edged sword, huh?

Oh yeah, there you go again braggin' about your 90 degree weather. I've said it before and I'll say it again...YOU my friend, SUCK! Enjoy it. [not the sucking part, the weather!]

Hey, GOOD SONG! Rock it out my friend!

moosh in indy. said...

Bright side: It will add a dramatic twist the the stunning documentary of your life, and you'll be able to charge an arm and a retina for your artwork! (I'd rather your retina stay attached though.)
Good luck.

The Curmudgeon said...

I've had glaucoma for years, controlled by drops with minimal deterioration.... to the chagrin of my poor eye doctor who can't understand why he hasn't gotten his chance to operate on me yet.

(Thank you, I've had enough of surgery for the time being.)

Sure sounds like good news about weaning Ben of particular meds.